Southern Cornmeal Waffles
Preparing your waffle batter with the blender gives the waffles a very light, airy texture. Not to mention, it makes clean up a snap since you use the same container to mix and pour. The addition of the cornmeal to the waffle batter gives these light waffles a little bit of crunch. Serve with syrup, blueberry jam or a nice fruit compote.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 2 eggs
- 2-1/4 cups lowfat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- Heat waffle iron. Place eggs in blender jar. Cover and blend on LOW
- for 5 seconds. Add buttermilk and margarine and cover and blend on
- low about 10 seconds more. Add remaining ingredients. Blend on
- Medium sped about 40 seconds, scrape sides of jar, if necessary
- about half way thru.
- Pour about 1/4 cup in hot waffle iron until waffles are golden brown.
- Yield: 6 servings.