Southern Corn Bread Dressing
This recipe makes a rather large dish. It was made this way because of the large families it had to feed. I came from a very poor family from Mississippi and learned to stretch the food we had. This is one of my favorite holiday side dishes. –Margaret E. Kendall, McConnelsville, Ohio
10 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 8 cups coarsely crumbled corn bread
- 4 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- Turkey giblets, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine first 10
- ingredients. In another bowl, whisk eggs and broth. Add to bread
- mixture; stir until moistened.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, 40-45
- minutes or until lightly browned and a thermometer inserted near
- center reads 160°. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 264 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 182 mg cholesterol, 987 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 12 g protein.