This towering torte takes guests' breath away every time! It's my most-requested cake recipe, has an unforgettable frosting and makes a grand showpiece for any holiday spread.
- 1 package Swiss chocolate or devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 10 milk chocolate candy bars with almonds (1.45 ounces each), divided
- 1 carton (16 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- In a large bowl, sift the cake and pudding mixes. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and oil. Add to dry ingredients; beat until well blended.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugars until smooth. Finely chop eight candy bars; stir into cream cheese mixture. Fold in whipped topping.
- Spread frosting on cake plate, between layers and over the top and sides of the cake. Chop the remaining candy bars; sprinkle over top and along bottom edge of cake. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Southern Chocolate Torte in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2004, p47
Reviews for Southern Chocolate Torte
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review