- 1 package Swiss chocolate or devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 10 milk chocolate candy bars with almonds (1.45 ounces each), divided
- 1 carton (16 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- In a large bowl, sift the cake and pudding mixes. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and oil. Add to dry ingredients; beat until well blended.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugars until smooth. Finely chop eight candy bars; stir into cream cheese mixture. Fold in whipped topping.
- Spread frosting on cake plate, between layers and over the top and sides of the cake. Chop the remaining candy bars; sprinkle over top and along bottom edge of cake. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Southern Chocolate Torte in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2004, p47
Reviews for Southern Chocolate Torte
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 9, 2015
"Its also called a queen anne cake."
Reviewed Jul. 12, 2011
"Very rich cake, though not very chocolatey."
Reviewed Feb. 9, 2011
"I love this cake. Easy to make and it tastes amazing!!! Just need small slices though because it is so rich."