Southern Chicken Rice Soup Recipe
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (about 3 pounds)
- 10 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh or frozen okra
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped green chilies
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1. Place chicken, water and salt in a soup kettle or Dutch oven. Slowly bring to a boil; skim foam. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- 2. Remove chicken and set side until cool enough to handle. Remove meat from bones and discard bones and skin. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces. Skim fat from broth. Add the rice, vegetables and seasonings. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 30 minutes.
- 3. Add the chicken. Simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 10 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 204 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 815 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 18 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.