Southern Chicken Fried
Tarragon, ginger and cayenne pepper season the cornmeal coating that Daucia Brooks of Westmoreland, Tennessee uses on her golden "fried" chicken. The moist meat and crunchy coating are sure to make this homey entree in a mealtime mainstay at you house, too.Daucia Brooks, Westmoreland, Tennessee
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- Refrigerated butter-flavored spray
- In a shallow bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In another
- shallow bowl, combine egg whites and milk. Place flour in a third
- shallow bowl. Coat chicken with flour; dip in the egg white mixture,
- then roll in cornmeal mixture.
- Place in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking
- spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 minutes. Spritz with
- butter-flavored spray. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until juices run
- clear. Yield: 6 servings.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as