Southern Chicken Fried Recipe
Tarragon, ginger and cayenne pepper season the cornmeal coating that Daucia Brooks of Westmoreland, Tennessee uses on her golden "fried" chicken. The moist meat and crunchy coating are sure to make this homey entree in a mealtime mainstay at you house, too.Daucia Brooks, Westmoreland, Tennessee
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- Refrigerated butter-flavored spray
- In a shallow bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In another shallow bowl, combine egg whites and milk. Place flour in a third shallow bowl. Coat chicken with flour; dip in the egg white mixture, then roll in cornmeal mixture.
- Place in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 minutes. Spritz with butter-flavored spray. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until juices run clear. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Oven-Fried Chicken in Taste of Home Dining on a Dime 2008, p78
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Southern Chicken Fried(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review