Southern Bread Pudding Recipe
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- BUTTER SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1. Place raisins in a small bowl; pour water over. Let stand for about 10 minutes to soften; drain. In a bowl, beat eggs. Add milk, 2/3 cup sugar, vanilla and raisins. Pour half into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Butter both sides of bread; arrange in a single layer over egg mixture. Cover with remaining egg mixture. Combine cinnamon with remaining sugar; sprinkle on top. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- 2. Meanwhile, for sauce, melt butter in a saucepan. Add sugar; cook and stir over medium heat for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and gradually stir in cream. Return to the heat; cook and stir 8-10 minutes longer or until thickened and golden-colored. Serve warm over a slice of bread pudding. Yield: 8 servings.
1 each: 469 calories, 23g fat (13g saturated fat), 171mg cholesterol, 255mg sodium, 61g carbohydrate (52g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Southern Bread Pudding
"this is by far my husband's favorite bread pudding recipe! Very rich and wonderful. The sauce is amazing!"