- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 8 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- BUTTER SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Place raisins in a small bowl; pour water over. Let stand for about 10 minutes to soften; drain. In a bowl, beat eggs. Add milk, 2/3 cup sugar, vanilla and raisins. Pour half into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Butter both sides of bread; arrange in a single layer over egg mixture. Cover with remaining egg mixture. Combine cinnamon with remaining sugar; sprinkle on top. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, melt butter in a saucepan. Add sugar; cook and stir over medium heat for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and gradually stir in cream. Return to the heat; cook and stir 8-10 minutes longer or until thickened and golden-colored. Serve warm over a slice of bread pudding. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Southern Bread Pudding
Sort By :
"This was a new way to make bread pudding for me - it was very easy and had a good flavor, and so did the butter sauce. I prefer bread pudding to be a little thicker, so next time I might double the recipe and layer it."
"this is by far my husband's favorite bread pudding recipe! Very rich and wonderful. The sauce is amazing!"