Southern Barbecued Pork
My dear friend Ruby gave me this authentic recipe when my family lived in North Carolina. Ruby has since passed away and we've moved North, but these zesty sandwiches bring back memories —Sue Alleva, Lake Elmo, Minnesota
10-12 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 3 hours
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 12 kaiser rolls, split
- 3 cups deli coleslaw, optional
- Place the pork roast and onion in a Dutch oven. In a small bowl,
- whisk the vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, brown sugar,
- mustard, salt and cayenne; pour over roast. Cover and bake at
- 325° for 3-4 hours or until meat is very tender.
- Remove roast; shred meat with two forks. Skim fat from pan juices.
- Return meat to the pan. Use a slotted spoon to serve on rolls. Top
- with coleslaw if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 496 calories, 17 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 129 mg cholesterol, 854 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 43 g protein.