My dear friend Ruby gave me this authentic recipe when my family lived in North Carolina. Ruby has since passed away and we've moved North, but these zesty sandwiches bring back memories —Sue Alleva, Lake Elmo, Minnesota
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 12 kaiser rolls, split
- 3 cups deli coleslaw, optional
- Place the pork roast and onion in a Dutch oven. In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, salt and cayenne; pour over roast. Cover and bake at 325° for 3-4 hours or until meat is very tender.
- Remove roast; shred meat with two forks. Skim fat from pan juices. Return meat to the pan. Use a slotted spoon to serve on rolls. Top with coleslaw if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Southern Barbecued Pork in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2005, p208
Reviews for Southern Barbecued Pork
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review