Southern Barbecued Brisket Recipe
- 1 fresh beef brisket (5 pounds)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Liquid Smoke, optional
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1. Place brisket on a large sheet of heavy-duty foil; seal tightly. Place in a greased shallow roasting pan. Bake at 325° for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat.
- 3. Carefully open foil to allow steam to escape. Remove brisket from foil; let stand for 20 minutes. Thinly slice meat across the grain. Place in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Spoon sauce over meat. Cover and bake for 1 hour or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
5 ounces equals 279 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 80 mg cholesterol, 515 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 39 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Southern Barbecued Brisket
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.