Southern Barbecued Brisket Recipe
- 1 fresh beef brisket (5 pounds)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Liquid Smoke, optional
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Place brisket on a large sheet of heavy-duty foil; seal tightly. Place in a greased shallow roasting pan. Bake at 325° for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat.
- Carefully open foil to allow steam to escape. Remove brisket from foil; let stand for 20 minutes. Thinly slice meat across the grain. Place in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Spoon sauce over meat. Cover and bake for 1 hour or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Southern Barbecued Brisket in Country August/September 2006, p49
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Southern Barbecued Brisket
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 20, 2009
I'm not a very experienced cook but this was easy and turned out really good.