Southern Barbecue Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
I revamped our favorite sloppy joe recipe into this thick spaghetti sauce that simmers in the slow cooker. The flavor is jazzy enough to be interesting to adults, yet mild enough to be enjoyed by children. —Rhonda Melanson of Sarnia, Ontario
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 4 hours YIELD:12 servings
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 12 cups hot cooked spaghetti
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, cook the turkey, onions, mushrooms and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- 2. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, ketchup, broth, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, cumin and chili powder. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until vegetables are tender. Serve with spaghetti. Yield: 12 servings.
One serving (2/3 cup sauce with 1 cup spaghetti) equals 342 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 491 mg sodium, 60 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 17 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC