Southern Banana Nut Bread Recipe
One day I had two ripe bananas and decided to make banana bread. I found this recipe in an old church recipe book. It really is good with pecans in the bread and in the topping, which makes it unique.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling YIELD:32 servings
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Additional chopped pecans
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Blend in bananas and vanilla. Add flour alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in pecans.
- 2. Pour into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack; cool completely.
- 3. For topping, combine the banana, confectioners' sugar and lemon juice; spread over loaves. Sprinkle with pecans. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 141 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 98 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC