- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Additional chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Blend in bananas and vanilla. Add flour alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in pecans.
- Pour into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack; cool completely.
- For topping, combine the banana, confectioners' sugar and lemon juice; spread over loaves. Sprinkle with pecans. Yield: 2 loaves.
Reviews for Southern Banana Nut Bread
Sort By :
I see why this was an award winner. It is excellent. I will make this recipe from now on. Thank you for sharing.
Absolutely delicious! I need to give away the second loaf or I will get fat. I used walnuts as I had no pecans and it was amazing.
Wonderful banana bread that will be my go-to recipe from now on. I made these in four smaller loaf pans and they baked to perfection in 35 minutes. I'm crazy about the icing as was my family. I also like that this bread is not heavy/dense. I usually use walnuts in banana bread so the additiion of pecans was a pleasant surprise. Note: If using the substitution for cake flour, I suggest sifting the flour with the baking powder and salt so everything is distributed more evenly. I believe you'll get a better rise out of your bread if you do this (personal experience). This will be a perfect gift-giving bread because it's so pretty with the icing sprinkled with pecans.
The best ever!!!!
Great bread! I used a combination of butter and coconut oil instead of the shortening, used walnuts since I was out of pecans, and omitted the icing on top. I will definitely be coming back to this recipe!