I’ve been making these golden fritters for more than 25 years. Family and friends gobble them up, so I’m thankful they’re quick and easy! —Mary Shivers, Ada, Oklahoma
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 cup grated unpeeled apples
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Combine the egg, milk, orange juice, butter, vanilla and orange peel; add to dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the apples.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls, a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Apple Fritters in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2011, p28
Reviews for Southern Apple Fritters
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review