- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- PECAN CREAM TOPPING:
- 1 package (8 ounces) PHILADELPHIA® Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Whole pecans, toasted, optional
- Line pastry shell with a double thickness of foil. Bake at 450° for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven; remove foil. Cool pastry shell.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the brown sugar, apple juice, butter, cornstarch and salt; bring to a boil. Stir in apples and lemon juice; cook and stir over low heat until apples are crisp-tender, 5-8 minutes. Pour into pastry shell.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg, milk, sugar, coconut, vanilla and cinnamon. Pour over apple mixture. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until mixture is set. Cool on a wire rack.
- For topping, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Stir in pecans and vanilla. Fold in whipped topping. Spread over pie. Garnish with pecans if desired. Cover and refrigerate for 4-6 hours. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Southern Ambrosia Apple Pie(3)
Sort By :
This pie is a wonderful take on apple pie!!! We have an apple tree in our back yard giving us a lot of apples every year. Therfore getting tired of the same things every year I decided to try this recipe out, so glad that I did it is amazing my whole family loves it including my picky 4 year old. I have been asked for the recipe already several times every time I bring it somewhere the recipe is wanted...
This is a wonderful take on apple pie. The topping is unbelievable! I have made it on multiple occasions. Five star desert!
This pie is so good. I'm not an apple pie fan but, I could eat a lot of this. I have handed this recipe out to several people. I have already made it 3 times.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Apple Desserts >
- Apple Pie >
- Apple Pie Recipes >
- Apple Pie Recipes with Fresh Apples >
- Apple Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cream Cheese Recipes >
- Cream Pie Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Nut Recipes >