Southern Ambrosia Apple Pie Recipe
"Apples and Georgia pecans make this pie a winner," reports field editor Carolyn Griffin of Macon.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min. + cooling YIELD:8 servings
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- PECAN CREAM TOPPING:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Whole pecans, toasted, optional
- 1. Line pastry shell with a double thickness of foil. Bake at 450° for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven; remove foil. Cool pastry shell.
- 2. In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the brown sugar, apple juice, butter, cornstarch and salt; bring to a boil. Stir in apples and lemon juice; cook and stir over low heat until apples are crisp-tender, 5-8 minutes. Pour into pastry shell.
- 3. In a small bowl, beat the egg, milk, sugar, coconut, vanilla and cinnamon. Pour over apple mixture. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until mixture is set. Cool on a wire rack.
- 4. For topping, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Stir in pecans and vanilla. Fold in whipped topping. Spread over pie. Garnish with pecans if desired. Cover and refrigerate for 4-6 hours. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 664 calories, 37 g fat (19 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 336 mg sodium, 77 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC