South Seas Sugar Cookies
Also among the "treasures" at our pirate theme party were these yummy soft cookies. They have a mellow honey-lemon flavor and a vibrant almond icing. For a fun Polynesian look, I used pineapple and palm tree cookie cutters to shape them.
24 ServingsPrep: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min.
- 1/3 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2-3/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- Yellow-gold, brown and green paste food coloring
- Yellow and orange colored sugar
- Chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening and sugar until smooth. Beat in
- the honey, egg and extract. Combine the flour, salt and baking soda;
- gradually add to creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours
- or until easy to handle.