South Seas Sugar Cookies Recipe
Also among the "treasures" at our pirate theme party were these yummy soft cookies. They have a mellow honey-lemon flavor and a vibrant almond icing. For a fun Polynesian look, I used pineapple and palm tree cookie cutters to shape them.
- 1/3 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- Yellow-gold, brown and green paste food coloring
- Yellow and orange colored sugar
- Chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening and sugar until smooth. Beat in the honey, egg and extract. Combine the flour, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness; cut with pineapple and palm tree cookie cutters dipped in flour. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 7-8 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat the butter, shortening, extract, salt, confectioners' sugar until smooth; add enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Tint 1 cup frosting yellow-gold, 1/2 cup brown and 2-1/2 cups green.
- Frost pineapples yellow-gold and tree trunks brown. With a toothpick, draw lines on pineapples; sprinkle with colored sugar.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert #21 star tip. Fill the bag with green frosting; pipe leaves on pineapples and palm trees. Add chocolate chips to palm trees for coconuts. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Originally published as South Seas Sugar Cookies in Taste of Home August/September 2001, p36
Reviews for South Seas Sugar Cookies(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Chocolate Chip Recipes >
- Chocolate Cookie Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Cookie Recipes >
- Cookies >
- Cut Out Sugar Cookies >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >