South Seas Skillet Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 jars (4-1/2 ounces each) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Fresh orange slices
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. In a skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add peas, water chestnuts, mushrooms, broth, raisins, soy sauce and ginger; mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Garnish with almonds and orange slices. Serve over rice. Yield: 6-8 servings.
To toast nuts, bake them in a shallow baking pan at &350° for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring twice. Or brown in a skillet over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
1 each: 213 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 1120mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 16g protein.