South Seas Skillet
Soy sauce, raisins, water chestnuts and toasted almond lend to this dish's tropical flavor. Served over rice, it's a filling entree that satisfies my family.—Bernice Muilenburg, Molalla, Oregon
6-8 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 jars (4-1/2 ounces each) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Fresh orange slices
- Hot cooked rice
- In a skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Add peas, water chestnuts, mushrooms, broth, raisins, soy sauce and
- ginger; mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for
- 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Garnish with almonds and
- orange slices. Serve over rice. Yield: 6-8 servings.
To toast nuts, bake them in a shallow baking pan at &350° for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring twice. Or brown in a skillet over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 213 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 1,120 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 16 g protein.