South-of-the-Border Submarine Recipe
- 2 pounds ground pork
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1 unsliced loaf French or Italian bread (1 pound)
- 1. In a large skillet, cook pork and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add taco seasoning and salt. Stir in tomato sauce, 1/2 cup cheese and olives; cook over medium heat for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Cut bread in half lengthwise. Remove center from each half to form a 1-in. shell. Crumble removed bread to make 1 cup crumbs; stir into meat mixture. Place bread shells on a baking sheet; toast lightly under broiler. Fill with meat mixture and top with remaining cheese. Tent loosely with foil.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and filling is heated through. Cut into slices. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for South-of-the-Border Submarine
"I've made this recipe several times since discovering it. It's very versatile and easy to make. With the exception of french bread, I always have the ingredients on hand. I just grab a loaf of french bread from the store and I know I can whip of this meal quickly once I get home. The ground pork gives it a different flavor from your ordinary ground beef, but I'm sure you could use ground beef too. And the taco seasoning and toasted french bread give it that extra boost of flavor and texture. In fact, today I'm going to make this again, but I'm going to try mixing a little ground venison with the pork. I have a lot of ground venison to use up. We'll see how it turns out. :-)"