South-of-the-Border Submarine Recipe
This open-faced sandwich has been a family favorite for years, especially with the grandchildren. It has a zesty Mexican flavor that will really wake up your taste buds.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:6-8 servings
- 2 pounds ground pork
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1 unsliced loaf French or Italian breadbread (1 pound)
- 1. In a large skillet, cook pork and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add taco seasoning and salt. Stir in tomato sauce, 1/2 cup cheese and olives; cook over medium heat for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Cut bread in half lengthwise. Remove center from each half to form a 1-in. shell. Crumble removed bread to make 1 cup crumbs; stir into meat mixture. Place bread shells on a baking sheet; toast lightly under broiler. Fill with meat mixture and top with remaining cheese. Tent loosely with foil.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and filling is heated through. Cut into slices. Yield: 6-8 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC