This open-faced sandwich has been a family favorite for years, especially with the grandchildren. It has a zesty Mexican flavor that will really wake up your taste buds.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 pounds ground pork
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1 unsliced loaf French or Italian breadbread (1 pound)
- In a large skillet, cook pork and onion until meat is no longer pink;
- drain. Add taco seasoning and salt. Stir in tomato sauce, 1/2 cup
- cheese and olives; cook over medium heat for 5-10 minutes, stirring
- Cut bread in half lengthwise. Remove center from each half to form a
- 1-in. shell. Crumble removed bread to make 1 cup crumbs; stir into
- meat mixture. Place bread shells on a baking sheet; toast lightly
- under broiler. Fill with meat mixture and top with remaining cheese.
- Tent loosely with foil.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and filling
- is heated through. Cut into slices. Yield: 6-8 servings.