South-of-the-Border Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2/3 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-3/4 cups chopped seeded tomatoes, divided
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 medium green peppers
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 4 grape tomatoes, halved, optional
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, red pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in 1/2 cup tomatoes, chili powder, cornstarch, cumin, oregano and cayenne. Gradually stir in water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- 2. Cut green peppers in half lengthwise; remove seeds. In a large kettle, cook peppers in boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water. Spoon about 1/3 cup beef mixture into each pepper half.
- 3. Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until peppers are crisp-tender and filling is heated through.
- 4. Top with the remaining tomatoes. Garnish with sour cream, cheese, green onions and grape tomatoes if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
2 stuffed pepper halves equals 268 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 62 mg cholesterol, 137 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 26 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.