South of the Border Salad
"Several years ago, a co-worker gave me the recipe for this fast-to-fix summer salad," recalls Paula Ishii of Ralston, Nebraska. "I usually have all the ingredients on hand, so I frequently take it to potlucks when I'm short on time."
8-10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 2 cans (15-1/4 ounces each) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a large bowl, combine the corn, beans, tomatoes and onions. In a
- small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; add to corn mixture
- and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Serve with
- a slotted spoon. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 138 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 549 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein.