South-of-the-Border Quiche Recipe
- 2 unbaked pastry shells (9 inches)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 2 cans (2-1/4 ounces each) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Salsa and sour cream, optional
- 1. Line unpricked pastry shells with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 400° for 5 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer.
- 2. Sprinkle chili powder and cumin over shells; sprinkle with cheeses. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, chilies, olives, onions, cilantro, salt and pepper. Pour evenly over cheese.
- 3. Cover and freeze one quiche for up to 3 months. Cover edges of remaining quiche loosely with foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with salsa and sour cream if desired.
- 4. To use frozen quiche: Remove from the freezer 30 minutes before baking (do not thaw). Cover edges of crust loosely with foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 55-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 2 quiches (6 servings each).
1 slice: 410 calories, 28g fat (15g saturated fat), 206mg cholesterol, 600mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 16g protein .
Reviews for South-of-the-Border Quiche
"I've made this several times...at times , I have frozen one but usually I just give one to my son and his family...two meals in one! And we all love it! Very easy to prepare."
"I had a Western Brunch and made this, everyone really liked it, even my sister who does not like spicy foods."
"Very good, very easy. The frozen 9" deep dish pie plates."
"Fabulous! My bridge club gals loved it....Pg"
"can this be frozen after baking"