South-of-the-Border Chowder Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 package (32 ounces) frozen cubed hash brown potatoes
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/4 cup pearl onions
- Sour cream and minced fresh cilantro, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute onion and bacon until onion is tender and bacon is crisp. Stir in the flour, cumin, chili powder and garlic powder. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened.
- 2. Stir in the hash browns, broth, cream corn, Mexicorn, chilies and pearl onions. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until heated through. Garnish with sour cream and cilantro if desired. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1 cup (calculated without optional toppings) equals 197 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 756 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable.