South-of-the-Border Chowder Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 package (32 ounces) frozen cubed hash brown potatoes
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/4 cup pearl onions
- Sour cream and minced fresh cilantro, optional
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion and bacon until onion is tender and bacon is crisp. Stir in the flour, cumin, chili powder and garlic powder. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened.
- Stir in the hash browns, broth, cream corn, Mexicorn, chilies and pearl onions. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until heated through. Garnish with sour cream and cilantro if desired. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for South-of-the-Border Chowder(3)
Sort By :
This is wonderful but I think it would have been just "okay" without the toppings - the toppings are what really put it over the top for me! We used shredded colby jack and chopped green onions in addition to the sour cream. Didn't have any pearl onions or cilantro but I bet the cilantro would have been a good addition. Also since one of my daughters is a vegetarian I used vegetable broth and served the bacon as a topping. To finish it off, try a drizzle of Sriracha. It can be hard to find a good potato soup recipe but this one is definitely a keeper for me!
This was a good recipe. I served in with the Guacamole Chicken Wraps in the same issue. I made a few changes: used regular corn instead of creamed since I don't like it. I also cooked the bacon first, removed it to paper towel and cooked the onions in the bacon grease. I used the cooked bacon as a garnish, along with cilantro, sour cream and crushed tortilla chips. Next time I will eliminate the pearl onions as I did not like them in this particular recipe.
Every time I make this recipe, my family loves it! The sour cream, cilantro and crushed taco chips makes for great toppings. I exclude the pearl onions...just our taste.
More Recipe Collections
- Bacon Recipes >
- Chowder Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Corn Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Mexican Soup >
- Mexican Soups >
- Potato Recipes >