South-of-the-Border Caprese Salad Recipe
Plump heirloom tomatoes highlight this garden-fresh showpiece, drizzled with a sweet-tart dressing and sprinkled with cheese. It's perfect for an outdoor party and so easy to make! —Kathleen Merkley, Layton, Utah
- CILANTRO VINAIGRETTE:
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and quartered
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 4 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 3 large heirloom or other tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco or diced part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons fresh cilantro leaves
- 1. In a blender, combine the first six ingredients. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream.
- 2. Arrange greens on a serving platter; top with tomatoes. Sprinkle with cheese, salt and pepper.
- 3. Just before serving, drizzle salad with 1/2 cup dressing; garnish with cilantro leaves. Refrigerate leftover dressing. Yield: 6 servings (1 cup dressing).
1 serving equals 168 calories, 14 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 286 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC