Our Test Kitchen took Lauree Buus' large meat loaf and turned it into five mini-loaves. They relied on the microwave for some quick cooking. The result was fantastic! The Rapid City, South Dakota cook can whip up her recipe even faster!
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, milk, Worcestershire sauce, oats, onion, salt, sage and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Shape into five loaves; arrange around the edge of a microwave-safe deep-dish pie plate.
- Cover and microwave on high for 5-6 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 5 minutes. Spread ketchup over meat loaves. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as South Dakota Meat Loaf Makeover in Simple & Delicious May/June 2008, p56
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for South Dakota Meat Loaf Makeover
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review