I've made other meat loaves, but I always come back to this one, which is based on my mom's recipe.—Lauree Buus, Rapid City, South Dakota
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Press into an ungreased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/4 hours; drain.
- Drizzle with ketchup; bake 10 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as South Dakota Meat Loaf in Taste of Home June/July 2001, p44
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for South Dakota Meat Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review