- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Press into an ungreased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/4 hours; drain.
- Drizzle with ketchup; bake 10 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for South Dakota Meat Loaf
"I have made this recipe many times over the last few years. It is the best! Sometimes if I don't have evaporated milk I just use regular milk, and that works too."
"I have been making meatlaof for many years & I just started making this one for something different... Everone loves it including me. I cook in a small retirement home the first time I made it on of our residents who is 99 years old asked me if I made it. I said yes. To Quote her exactly( It's the best meatloaf I ever had in my in my life)i 99 years old. That is quite a .compliment Thanks for posting it"
"Best meatloaf recipe I have ever tried!"
"Make again! One of the best!"
"i love this meatloaf. i love the texture that the oats give and i love sage but had never thought to put it in meatloaf. thanks for sharing."
"I made this when my family came to visit... we all loved it (even the ones who later mentioned they didn't usually like meatloaf). I like how healthy it is. Also, I used venison instead of beef... the meatloaf is so flavorful though, nobody could even tell:)"
"I received one really big complaint on this. I DIDN'T MAKE ENOUGH!! My kids absolutely loved this recipe and this was their only complaint. I had a few other comments on how to improve it but these days my kids are the hardest to please. Which says a lot because they are boys and they should eat anything! ;-) But seriously this recipe as very flavorful and very easy. A must try!"