Some 25 years ago, I received this recipe and some starter from a good friend, who is now a neighbor. I use it to make many loaves of the Sourdough French Bread (recipe also in Recipe Finder).
48 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + standing
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a 4-qt. nonmetallic bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water; let stand
- for 5 minutes. Add flour; stir until smooth. Cover loosely with a
- clean towel. Let stand in a warm place (80°-90°) to ferment
- for 48 hours; stir several times daily (the mixture will become
- bubbly and rise, have "yeasty" sour aroma and a transparent yellow
- liquid will form on the top).
- Use starter for your favorite sourdough recipes. The starter will
- keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Use and replenish at
- least every 2 weeks. Replenish with equal amounts of flour and water
- to restore the volume; stir. Yield: about 3 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 tablespoon) equals 19 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, trace sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.