Sourdough Starter Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- In a 4-qt. nonmetallic bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add flour; stir until smooth. Cover loosely with a clean towel. Let stand in a warm place (80°-90°) to ferment for 48 hours; stir several times daily (the mixture will become bubbly and rise, have "yeasty" sour aroma and a transparent yellow liquid will form on the top).
- Use starter for your favorite sourdough recipes. The starter will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Use and replenish at least every 2 weeks. Replenish with equal amounts of flour and water to restore the volume; stir. Yield: about 3 cups.
Reviews for Sourdough Starter(3)
Sort By :
To replenish the starter, add flour and water equal in volume to the amount of starter used (for example, if you take out 1 cup of starter, add in 1 cup each of flour and water). Stir well and let stand in a warm place (80-90 degrees) for 12 to 24 hours or until light and bubbly. Stir starter and then cover loosely and refrigerate. These instructions can be found in the Taste of Home Baking Book on page 374.
I'd also like to know how to replenish the starter??
I would like to know how to replenish the starter.