- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- In a covered 4-qt. glass, ceramic or plastic container, mix flour and yeast. Gradually stir in warm water until smooth. Cover loosely with a kitchen towel; let stand in a warm place 2-4 days or until mixture is bubbly, sour smelling and a clear liquid has formed on top. (Starter may darken, but if starter turns another color or develops an offensive odor or mold, discard and start over.)
- Cover tightly and refrigerate starter until ready to use. To keep starter alive, use and replenish, or nourish starter, once every 1-2 weeks.
- To use and replenish starter:
- Stir to blend in any liquid on top. Remove amount of starter needed; bring to room temperature before using. For each 1/2 cup starter removed, add 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup warm water to the remaining starter and stir until smooth. Cover loosely and let stand in a warm place 1-2 days or until light and bubbly. Stir; cover tightly and refrigerate.
- To nourish starter:
- Remove half of the starter. Stir in equal parts of flour and warm water; cover loosely and let stand in a warm place 1-2 days or until light and bubbly. Stir; cover tightly and refrigerate. Yield: about 3 cups.
Reviews for Sourdough Starter
"countryrose86, I don't know if you found your answer or not, but for what it's worth, every sourdough starter recipe I've ever seen recommends that if you don't use the starter regularly, you feed the starter every 10 days. I'm not sure why this recipe doesn't seem to state that, it's kind've an important tidbit of info!"
"Do you have to keep feeding the starter everyday? What if some drys out on top? Out of all the recipes i read this one was the best to understand."
"To replenish the starter, add flour and water equal in volume to the amount of starter used (for example, if you take out 1 cup of starter, add in 1 cup each of flour and water). Stir well and let stand in a warm place (80-90 degrees) for 12 to 24 hours or until light and bubbly. Stir starter and then cover loosely and refrigerate. These instructions can be found in the Taste of Home Baking Book on page 374."
"I'd also like to know how to replenish the starter??"
"I would like to know how to replenish the starter."