Sourdough French Bread
Since receiving the recipe for the Sourdough Starter, I've made this French bread countless times. In fact, one year I donated 2 dozen loaves for a benefit dinner! These loaves rival any found in stores and can be made with relative ease.
20 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-3/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup Sourdough Starter
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- CORNSTARCH WASH:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the Sourdough
- Starter, oil, sugar, salt and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir
- in enough additional flour to form a soft ball.
- Turn onto a floured surface; gently knead 20-30 times (dough will be
- slightly sticky). Place in a greased bow, turning once to grease
- top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 to
- 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in
- half. Roll each into a 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Roll up, jelly-roll
- style, starting with a long side; pinch ends to seal. Place, seam
- side down, on two greased baking sheets; tuck ends under. Cover and