Sourdough English Muffins Recipe
This recipe was a winner in a local newspaper contest years ago and has become a family favorite. The muffins are fun to make on a griddle and delicious to eat.
- 2-3/4 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup Sourdough Starter
- 1/3 cup instant nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cornmeal, divided
- Butter, jam or honey
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, water and Sourdough Starter. Cover and let stand overnight.
- 2. Combine the milk powder, sugar, salt and 1/2 cup flour. Add to sour dough mixture; mix well. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and no longer sticky, about 2-3 minutes, adding more flour if needed.
- 3. Roll to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a 3-in. round cookie cutter. Greased baking sheets and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons cornmeal. Place muffins 2 in. apart on prepared baking sheets. Sprinkle remaining cornmeal over muffin tops. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4. In a lightly greased griddle or electric skillet, cook muffins at 275° for 10 minutes. Turn and cook 10-15 minutes longer or until golden brown. Split with a sharp knife or a fork and toast if desired. Serve with butter, jam or honey. Yield: 1 dozen.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC