Here's a mouthwatering cheeseburger that's easy and quick. I came up with it one night when I realized I'd run out of hamburger buns. My husband loved the tang and toasty crunch of the sour-dough bread.—Michelle Dommel, Quakertown, Pennsylvania
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, ketchup and relish; cover and refrigerate.
- Shape beef into two oval patties. In a large skillet, cook burgers over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Season with salt and pepper; remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute onion in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Remove and keep warm.
- Using 2 tablespoons butter, butter one side of each slice of bread. Melt remaining butter in the skillet. Place bread, buttered side up, in the skillet; cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Turn; top two of the bread slices with the cheese. Cook 2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- To serve, place toast cheese side up on a plate. Top with a burger, relish mixture, onion and remaining toast. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Sourdough Cheeseburgers in Country Woman January/February 2001, p31
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Sourdough Cheeseburgers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review