Sourdough Applesauce Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups Sourdough Starter
- 1-1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup butter, softened
- About 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- Maple flavoring to taste
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1. For cake, cream together shortening and sugar; beat in eggs. Stir in the starter, applesauce, cloves, cinnamon and allspice. Set aside. In a small bowl, blend salt, baking soda and sugar. Sprinkle over batter; stir in gently. Add flour; stir until smooth. Add nuts and raisins; stir well. Pour into two greased-and-floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For icing, combine butter, sugar and egg yolk. Add flavoring; set aside. Beat cream with 1 teaspoon sugar; fold into icing. Frost cake. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 633 calories, 31g fat (14g saturated fat), 108mg cholesterol, 625mg sodium, 86g carbohydrate (65g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein
Reviews for Sourdough Applesauce Cake
"This is a very nice recipe that makes a very generous cake. It is not low in sugar, in my opinion."
"How is this good for diabetics? The nutrition facts say that a single serving (1 slice) has 86 g of carbohydrates. That is nearly twice the amount of carbs that I eat in an entire meal. Not to mention the 31 g of fat per slice."