Sourdough Applesauce Cake Recipe
This is the perfect cake for anyone watching what they eat especial diabetics. The applesauce nearly eliminated the sugar in this cake and it is so moist and delicious.—Gloria Secor, Kenosha, Wisconsin
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups Sourdough Starter
- 1-1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup butter, softened
- About 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- Maple flavoring to taste
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1. For cake, cream together shortening and sugar; beat in eggs. Stir in the starter, applesauce, cloves, cinnamon and allspice. Set aside. In a small bowl, blend salt, baking soda and sugar. Sprinkle over batter; stir in gently. Add flour; stir until smooth. Add nuts and raisins; stir well. Pour into two greased-and-floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For icing, combine butter, sugar and egg yolk. Add flavoring; set aside. Beat cream with 1 teaspoon sugar; fold into icing. Frost cake. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 633 calories, 31 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 108 mg cholesterol, 625 mg sodium, 86 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC