Sour Cream Yogurt Braid
I won best of show at the county fair with this favorite yeast bread. I like to shape the dough into an attractive braid. It smells wonderful coming out of the oven, and everyone likes the texture and flavor.
12 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 cups bread flour
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/3 cup warm water. In a large
- bowl, beat sour cream, yogurt, 2 tablespoons butter, sugar, salt and
- remaining water.
- Add yeast mixture and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough
- of the remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
- 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into
- thirds. Shape each into a 16-in. rope. Grease a baking sheet and
- sprinkle with cornmeal. Place three ropes on prepared baking sheet
- and braid; pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.