Sour Cream Yogurt Braid Recipe
I won best of show at the county fair with this favorite yeast bread. I like to shape the dough into an attractive braid. It smells wonderful coming out of the oven, and everyone likes the texture and flavor. -Marie Hattrup Sparks, Nevada
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 cups bread flour
- 1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/3 cup warm water. In a large bowl, beat sour cream, yogurt, 2 tablespoons butter, sugar, salt and remaining water.
- 2. Add yeast mixture and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough of the remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 3. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into thirds. Shape each into a 16-in. rope. Grease a baking sheet and sprinkle with cornmeal. Place three ropes on prepared baking sheet and braid; pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under.
- 5. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Melt remaining butter; brush over braid. Yield: 1 loaf.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC