Sour Cream Yogurt Braid Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 cups bread flour
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/3 cup warm water. In a large bowl, beat sour cream, yogurt, 2 tablespoons butter, sugar, salt and remaining water.
- Add yeast mixture and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough of the remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into thirds. Shape each into a 16-in. rope. Grease a baking sheet and sprinkle with cornmeal. Place three ropes on prepared baking sheet and braid; pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Melt remaining butter; brush over braid. Yield: 1 loaf.
Reviews for Sour Cream Yogurt Braid
Sort By :
"Delicious and beautiful! I was going to use loaf pans rather than braid but am glad I didn't because the dough rises beautifully and would have been too much for one pan. I will make again for Easter. Try it! You'll like it! (And, so easy, too!)"