- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 egg yolk
- 4-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a bowl, cream the butter and sugar; beat in egg yolks and lemon peel. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts. In another bowl, beat egg white until soft peaks form; fold into the batter.
- Pour into a greased 6-cup fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and juices. Bring to a boil. Brush over warm cake. Cool completely. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Sour Cream Walnut Cake
"This recipe has been in my family for as many years as I can remember, at least 40-50. I love it. It is simple to make, tastes great, and is easily modifiable. You can double or triple the recipe and cook it in tin cans for easy gifting at the holidays, or you can make one big one for Christmas desert. Its my favorite cake, truly scrumptious."