Sour Cream Swiss Steak Recipe
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons each salt, pepper, paprika and ground mustard
- 3 pounds beef top round steak, cut into serving-size pieces
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Additional paprika, optional
- In a shallow bowl, combine flour, salt, pepper, paprika and mustard; dredge the steak.
- In a large skillet, heat oil and butter. Cook steak on both sides until browned. Carefully add water; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine the sour cream, onion, garlic, soy sauce, brown sugar and flour; stir until smooth. Transfer steaks to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish; add sour cream mixture.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 1-1/2 hours or until tender. Sprinkle with paprika if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Sour Cream Swiss Steak(10)
Sort By :
This was delicious. We both enjoyed it a lot and the leftovers heated up really well, too. I may add a bit less brown sugar the next time I make it (maybe down to 1/8 of a cup instead of 1/4) but the sauce was still very good.
Round steak was much more tender cooking it this way.
This appealed to me because it's different from traditional Swiss steak that always seems to have tomatoes in it, which I wasn't overly fond of. I adapted this to use in my slow cooker....sauted the onions in the drippings after browning the meat, then added the steak pieces and simmered it all for thirty minutes. After that I put everything in the cooker and added the sauce mixture. I cooked them on low for about five hours and the meat was falling apart. It made a delicious meal, and leftovers the next day tasted even better!
I make Swiss steak often, but this is a standout! I don't think it has to cook quite that long and I'll probably use less sugar.
Absolutely delicious, even better than I had hoped for based on the good reviews. Just make it, you won't be sorry!