I make these cookies for my family and our neighbors every Valentine’s Day. The heart-shaped treats stay soft for at least a week, and they look so pretty frosted bright pink and then piped with lacy frosting.—Carolyn Walton, Smoot, Wyoming
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 9 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 to 3/4 cup 2% milk
- Paste food coloring
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, sour cream and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter.
- Place 1 in. apart on baking sheets lightly coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until set. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy. Beat in confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Add enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Tint with food coloring. Decorate cookies as desired. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Sour Cream Sugar Cookies in Taste of Home February/March 2008, p41
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Sour Cream Sugar Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review