- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 9 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 to 3/4 cup 2% milk
- Paste food coloring
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, sour cream and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter.
- Place 1 in. apart on baking sheets lightly coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until set. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy. Beat in confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Add enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Tint with food coloring. Decorate cookies as desired. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Sour Cream Sugar Cookies
"I added cinnamon and nutmeg came out fantastic everyone loved them I also added more flour when rolling them out"
"I added a small bag of coconut, then frosted them with a lime flavoured icing. Everyone loved them."
"I added an extra 1/2 cup of flour to the dough & refrigerated it overnight. The dough rolled out perfectly & the cookies did not stick to the countertops. Even better, the baked cookies stayed fresh tasting for 5 days - I just stored them in a container on the counter. I do agree with other reviewers that they are a little plain tasting without frosting, so next time I will try substituting butter or butter flavored crisco. Otherwise, they are perfect!"
"The dough was easy to roll out and the cookies were not too sweet when frosted. A good cookie to frost. I'd definitely make them again!"
"These were so easy to make. I did not even wait an hour to start rolling them out and they worked just fine. This probably wouldn't be the recipe I'd use for just sugar cookies with no icing, however, I liked the taste if these without icing. I think it is just personal preference....it was a great recipe!"