Sour Cream Spice Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff; gently fold into batter.
- 2. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- 3. For frosting, combine the brown sugar, egg whites, water and cream of tartar in a small heavy saucepan over low heat. With a hand mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low over low heat until frosting reaches 160°, about 20 minutes.
- 4. Pour into a large bowl; add vanilla. Beat on high until stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 283 calories, 9 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 65 mg cholesterol, 251 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.