- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at
- 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from
- pans to wire racks.
- For frosting, combine the brown sugar, egg whites, water and cream of
- tartar in a small heavy saucepan over low heat. With a hand mixer,
- beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low over low
- heat until frosting reaches 160°, about 20 minutes.
- Pour into a large bowl; add vanilla. Beat on high until stiff peaks
- form, about 7 minutes. Spread between layers and over top and sides
- of cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 283 calories, 9 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 65 mg cholesterol, 251 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.