Sour Cream Spice Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff; gently fold into batter.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- For frosting, combine the brown sugar, egg whites, water and cream of tartar in a small heavy saucepan over low heat. With a hand mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low over low heat until frosting reaches 160°, about 20 minutes.
- Pour into a large bowl; add vanilla. Beat on high until stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Sour Cream Spice Cake(3)
Sort By :
I have not had much success with cakes, but this was by far the best cake I have ever made. I made this for my husbands birthday (he does not care for sweets) he said this was the BEST cake he had ever made. I followed the recipe exactly except I used a bundt pan and added 5-10 mins to the baking time.
The cake turned out terrific, even though I didn't have cake flour and had to put the eggs in whole because I dirtied my beaters before reading the recipe. It is finely textured, moist, with the right mix of spices. I put it in a 9 x 13 pan without a problem. I will frost it with an ordinary vanilla cream frosting, but the frosting given in the recipe sounds very good. An all-around good recipe!
I made this for my grandmother's birthday and everyone loved it, especially the frosting!