- 4 cups ground walnuts (about 14 ounces)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 4 large eggs, divided use
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5-1/4 to 5-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, mix the first five ingredients until blended. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in warm milk; let stand 15 minutes. In a large bowl, combine melted butter, sour cream, 3 eggs, salt, remaining sugar, yeast mixture and 2 cups flour; beat on medium speed 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide and shape into eight portions. Roll each into a 12x8-in. rectangle (dough will be very thin). Spread each with 1/2 cup walnut mixture to within 3/4 in. of edges. Carefully roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam and ends to seal.
- Place rolls 2 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets, seam side down. Prick tops with a fork. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 1 hour. Preheat oven to 350°
- Lightly beat remaining egg; brush over rolls. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown, switching position of pans halfway through baking (filling may leak during baking). Remove loaves to wire racks to cool. To serve, cut into slices. Yield: 8 loaves (6 servings each).
Originally published as Sour Cream Rolls with Walnut Filling in Country Woman October/November 2015
Reviews for Sour Cream Rolls with Walnut Filling
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review