- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange or lemon peel
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate while preparing topping and filling.
- Mix oats, flour, brown sugar and orange peel; cut in butter until crumbly. In a large bowl, mix sugar, cornstarch and spices; stir in sour cream and egg. Fold in rhubarb; pour into crust. Sprinkle with oat mixture.
- Bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 350°; bake until topping is golden brown, 35-40 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Sour Cream Rhubarb Pie
"Excellent alternative to a traditional rhubarb pie. I was looking for a crumb-topped rhubarb pie recipe, and this was the perfect choice. The hint of orange really does complement the rhubarb. I substituted a few drops of orange extract for the grated orange peel, and that worked well. Will definitely make this again"
"Very easy - as pies go. Absolutely delicious! Even people that don't normally like rhubarb like this pie."