Field editor Doreen Martin from Kitimat, British Columbia shares her creamy rhubarb pie with a twist. "A hint of orange flavor and a nice blend of spices complement the tangy rhubarb," she writes. "I like to serve the pie while it's still warm."
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 egg
- 3 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange or lemon peel
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- In a 96+bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg. Beat in the sour cream and egg. Gently fold in the rhubarb. Pour into pastry shell.
- For topping, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar and orange peel. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over the filling. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 35-40 minutes longer or until topping is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Sour Cream Rhubarb Pie in Taste of Home February/March 2003, p58
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Sour Cream Rhubarb Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review