Sour Cream Rhubarb Coffee Cake
Our daughter Judy won a blue ribbon with this recipe at the New York State Fair when we were living in Upstate New York. It's been a family favorite for 18 years.
12-15 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1-1/2 cups chopped rhubarb (1/2-inch chunks)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- In a bowl, cream sugar, shortening and egg. Combine flour, baking
- soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream.
- Gently fold in rhubarb until evenly distributed. Spoon into a
- greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Combine topping ingredients until
- crumbly; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or
- until done. Cool slightly before cutting into squares Yield: 12-15
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 298 calories, 13 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 192 mg sodium,