Sour Cream Pound Cake
Because I'm our town's postmaster, I can bake only in my spare time. When I do, I especially like making breads and desserts.
I'm one of six children, and I learned to cook young! This recipe came from my aunt in Alabama. I've used it in all sorts of different ways over the years—as strawberry shortcake...tucked under ice cream and chocolate syrup like a hot fudge sundae...or like pound
20 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 80 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a bowl, cream butter. Gradually beat in sugar until light and
- fluffy, about 5-7 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well
- after each addition. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to
- creamed mixture alternately with sour cream and vanilla. Beat on low
- just until blended. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan.
- Bake at 325° for 1 hour and 25 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Cool in pan 15 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool
- completely. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 20
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 311 calories, 13 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 96 mg cholesterol, 163 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.